Wednesday, February 10, 2010

1075 - Mojo 83. Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign (1967)























Track Listing

1. Born Under A Bad Sign
2. Crosscut Saw
3. Kansas City
4. Oh Pretty Woman
5. Down Don't Bother Me
6. Hunter
7. When I Lost My Baby I Almost Lost My Mind
8. Personal Manager
9. Laundromat Blues
10. As The Years Go Passing By
11. Very Thought Of You

Review

Born Under a Bad Sign is a blues album by eccentric guitarist and singer Albert King, unfortunately it is not all that spectacular. His guitar playing is excellent and even if his voice is often buried by the instruments it does flourish on a couple of tracks. However it is much too clean.

Blues for me has to be slightly less produced than this, the fact that this is on the Stax label might have something to do with it but there is much too much going on in this album for it to sounds like what the blues should sound... at least to me.

From the blues I want some grittiness and King is very much buried by arrangements here, even if his guitar playing comes to the foreground and it is very good indeed I can't help but feel that there is a kind of violence being made to the Blues in the arrangements... oh well.

Track Highlights

1. Crosscut Saw
2. Born Under a Bad Sign
3. Very Though of You
4. Kansas City

Final Grade

7/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

King played a Gibson Flying V through a solid-state Acoustic amplifier; his tone on the second song, "Crosscut Saw," was hailed in 2004 by Guitar Player as one of the "50 Greatest Tones of All Time."

Crosscut Saw:

No comments: