Tuesday, November 10, 2009

1005. Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now (2005)

















Track Listing

1. Hope There's Someone
2. My Lady Story
3. For Today I Am A Boy
4. Man Is The Baby
5. You Are My Sister
6. What Can I Do?
7. Fistful Of Love
8. Spiralling
9. Free At Last
10. Bird Gehrl

Review

I first knew of Antony when watching the Mercury Award broadcast, when this album was nominated and he played the first track live on TV. After that I immediately got the album, and listened to it repeatedly. So this is one of those I really love.

My wife finds his voice a bit too freaky and strange, but if you can get over that and appreciate the quality of the whole thing, both lyrically, vocally and in terms of arrangements it will be something which will stay with you for a long time.

Antony's music is strange indeed but that does not stop it from being truly beautiful and often haunting stuff. Sometimes the album has a problem with being a bit all over the place, some tracks such as the otherwise great Boy George collaboration do not fit the album's mood completely. This is, however, nitpicking in what is a truly great album.

Track Highlights

1. Man is the Baby
2. Hope There's Someone
3. Fistful of Love
4. Spiralling

Final Grade

10/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

he album features guest appearances by Rufus Wainwright ("What Can I Do?"), Devendra Banhart, Joan Wasser and by lead singer Antony Hegarty's childhood heroes Boy George and Lou Reed. The cover is a photograph by Peter Hujar of Warhol Superstar Candy Darling on her deathbed (aptly titled "Candy Darling on Her Deathbed").

Man is the Baby:

No comments: