Tuesday, September 22, 2009

965. The Darkness - Permission to Land (2003)



















Track Listing

1. Black Shuck
2. Get Your Hands Off My Woman
3. Growing On Me
4. I Believe In A Thing Called Love
5. Love Is Only A Feeling
6. Givin' Up
7. Stuck In A Rut
8. Friday Night
9. Love On The Rocks With No Ice
10. Holding My Own
11. Makin' Out

Review

Sometimes the choices on this list confuse me. Why have what really is little more than a novelty comedy album here? Particularly if you are missing This Is Spinal Tap, which did The Darkness before and better?

Well some would argue that The Darkness is more than that, to which I would argue "No it isn't". They might be musically competent but so are Tenacious D for fuck's sake, you don't see them here.

So one of the strangest choices on this list and an album which is mildly fun and retro but which for it's novelty value brings nothing truly new or sustainable to the music scene. So... oh well.

Track Highlights

1. I Believe In A Thing Called Love
2. Growing on Me
3. Get Your Hands Off My Woman
4. Love On The Rocks With No Ice

Final Grade


7/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

In addition to its chart success, Permission to Land also provided The Darkness with two high-profile music awards – Best Rock Album at the 2003 Kerrang! Awards[3] and Best British Album at the 2004 BRIT Awards (at which they also won the awards for Best British Group and Best British Rock Act). Permission to Land was voted 49th in the 50 Greatest Albums of the 21st Century in Kerrang!

Oh Kerrang...

I Believe in a Thing Called Love:

No comments: