Sunday, December 07, 2008

754. The Boo Radleys - Giant steps (1993)

















Track Listing


1. I Hang Suspended
2. Upon 9th And Fairchild
3. Wish I Was Skinny
4. Leaves And Sand
5. Butterfly McQueen
6. Rodney King (Song for Lenny Bruce)
7. Thinking Of Ways
8. Barney (...And Me)
9. Spun Around
10. If You Want It, Take It
11. Best Lose The Fear
12. Take The Time Around
13. Lazarus
14. One Is For
15. Run My Way Runway
16. I've Lost The Reason
17. The White Noise Revisited

Review

Imagine a mix of psychedelia, reggae, shoegaze, britpop, rock, the Beatles and orchestral arrangements and you might approach what the Boo Radleys sound like here. Each time I've listened to this album I have liked it a bit more. The first impression is already good but it just gets progressively better.

Another great thing about the album is that it actually sounds quite modern, it could be a new indie band, it isn't stuck to any of the early nineties trends like britpop or grunge, it somehow transcends all of those styles.

The problem with this kind of album that slowly grows on you is that even after three days of listening to it I still don't feel ready for a final judgement, it gets better with every listen. So I'll go out on a limb and say it is pretty great.

Track Highlights

1. Leaves and Sand
2. Wish I Was Skinny
3. The White Noise Revisited
4. I Hang Suspended

Final Grade

9/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

The title is inspired by John Coltrane's album of the same name, and the record features an assortment of influences — their previous shoegazing sound backed by pop, reggae, noise pop and orchestral sounds.

Leaves and Sand:



No comments: