Friday, November 21, 2008

740. Aimee Mann - Whatever (1993)



















Track Listing

1. I Should've Known
2. Fifty Years After The Fair
3. 4th Of July
4. Could've Been Anyone
5. Put Me On Top
6. Stupid Thing
7. Say Anything
8. Jacob Marley's Chain
9. Mr. Harris
10. I Could Hurt You Now
11. I Know There's A Word
12. I've Had It
13. Way Back When

Review

I first was aware of Aimee Mann after seeing her perform
Save Me at the Oscars for the soundtrack of Magnolia. A couple of months later I saw the film and then I got the soundtrack album, which I vividly recommend. So it is kind of a trip down memory lane to have Aimee Mann here, kind of back to the same time I was into Tori Amos and Fiona Apple... yes I was a bit gay.

Aimee is one of the best lyricists in the business, and at the moment we seem to be having a pretty big influx of very talented female singer-songwriters which is a good thing. Aimee isn't as sexually confrontational as Tori Amos, PJ Harvey or Liz Phair, her songs are softer and more pondered, it makes an interesting contrast.

One of the best things about the album are the astounding arrangements in many of the songs, there is a great variety of very good music here, the production work is pretty fantastic and fortunately it is not intrusive on the lyricism of most of the songs. A great album.

Track Highlights

1. Jacob Marley's Chain
2. 4th of July
3. I Know There's A Word
4. Mr. Harris

Final Grade

9/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

In 1993, Mann released Whatever, her first solo album. Promotion suffered due to the collapse of her label, Imago. With modest sales, the album was critically praised and paved the way for her next release, 1995's I'm with Stupid, through Geffen Records. Again, reviews were positive, but sales were weak.

Jacob Marley's Chain:


No comments: