Thursday, September 04, 2008

681. Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990)
















Track Listing

1. Feels So Different
2. I Am Stretched On Your Grave
3. Three Babies
4. Emperor's New Clothes
5. Black Boys On Mopeds
6. Nothing Compares 2 U
7. Jump In The River
8. You Cause As Much Sorrow
9. Last Day Of Our Acquaintance
10. I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

Review

This is one of those albums I grew up with, it came out when I was 8 and my father had it in his car for quite a while, meaning that I heard it through many trips. Usually at night, from Evora to Lisbon and back. If it seems I am being biased then it is because maybe I am and you have to suck it up.

This is to say I really like this album. Sinead does one thing for which I am a sucker, she starts songs slow and builds on them to great epic finales, that's particularly true in the first track and the great Last Day Of Out Acquaintance. If all you know of this album is Nothing Compares 2 U, then you are missing out.

Yes, Nothing Compares 2 U is a good song, with a great video and great lyrics, but it does feel kind of out of place in the album. It sounds like the track put there to be the big successful single that it became. The other tracks are less accessible, track 2 is a dance/hip-hop/celtic music mix for example while the album starts out with a great use of a full string section for a great slow build up track. I really like this. Best album ever? Definitely not, but I want to listen to it again.

Track Highlights


1. Nothing Compares 2 U
2. The Last Day of Our Acquaintance
3. I Am Stretched on Your Grave
4. Feel So Different

Final Grade

9/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

The critically-acclaimed album contains her most famous single, "Nothing Compares 2 U", and was one of the best selling records in the world in 1990, topping the charts in many countries, including the US, UK, and Canada.

The album includes O'Connor's rendition of "I Am Stretched on Your Grave," an anonymous 17th century poem (originally written in Irish) translated into English by Philip King. The first song, "Feels So Different", starts with The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr.

The inner sleeve notes acknowledge Kabbalah teacher, Warren Kenton: "Special thanks to Selina Marshall + Warren Kenton for showing me that all I'd need was inside me."

The album was nominated for four Grammy Awards in 1991, winning the award for Best Alternative Music Performance. O'Connor refused to accept the nominations and the award.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 406 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.


A version of Nothing Compares 2 U with sound on, let's see how long it stays up, as because it is a Prince cover it will be going down soon for sure:

No comments: