Monday, August 11, 2008

657. Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time (1989)

















Track Listing

1. Nick Of Time
2. Thing Called Love
3. Love Letters
4. Cry On My Shoulder
5. Real Man
6. Nobody's Girl
7. Have A Heart
8. Too Soon To Tell
9. I Will Not Be Denied
10. I Ain't Gonna Let You Break My Heart Again
11. Road's My Middle Name

Review


Usually attempts to update country sound are not extremely successful. Bonnie Raitt is actually moderately successful with this album, although it does sound like it is from the late 80s it isn't terrible. And that is saying something.

There are some good collaborations, Crosby and Stills do backup vocals, Herbie Hancock plays the piano, but unfortunately their particular styles don't really come through in most of the time.

So I didn't love it, but I admit it wasn't terrible. The songs are quite catchy and there is some real fire to a lot of the music. I always liked things more toned down and bluegrassy myself, but hey, can't win every time.

Track Highlights


1. Love Letter
2. Thing Called Love
3. The Road's My Middle Name
4. Nick Of Time

Final Grade

7/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

Before work began on Nick of Time, Raitt had been courted by several major labels.It was during this time that Raitt met producer Don Was through Hal Wilner, who was putting together Stay Awake, a tribute album to Disney music for A&M. Was and Wilner both wanted Raitt to sing lead on an adult-contemporary arrangement of "Baby Mine" (the lullaby from Dumbo) created by Was. Raitt was very pleased with the sessions, and she asked Was to produce her next album.

Dennis Quaid stars in the video for Thing Called Love:

No comments: