Monday, July 28, 2008

644. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (1989)

















Track Listing

1. To All The Girls
2. Shake Your Rump
3. Johnny Ryall
4. Egg Man
5. High Plains Drifter
6. Sounds Of Science
7. Three Minute Rule
8. Hey Ladies
9. Five Piece Chicken Dinner
10. Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun
11. Car Thief
12. What Comes Around
13. Shadrach
14. Ask For Janice
15. B Boy Bouillabaisse

Review


This is an album that leaves me split right down the middle, I love the sampling and the music in general, the lyrics are quite funny but the voices just annoy the shit out of me.

There is a lot of fun to be had here, and not only on the lyrics, playing "spot the sample" is the best thing to do with this. The samples are not only pretty great but used in a not obvious way for most part, and some credit has to go to the Dust Brothers for this.

When the voices are quiet there is a lot to love here, but the whiny voices get on my tits. So I cannot completely love this album, but I wish I wasn't as annoyed by it as I am because there is really a lot to love here, if you can deal with Mike D's voice you'll have great fun with this.

Track Highlights


1. Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun
2. B-Boy Bouillabaisse
3. Car Thief
4. The Sounds Of Science

Final Grade


8/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

Paul's Boutique was initially considered a commercial failure by the executives at Capitol Records, as its sales did not match that of their previous record, and Capitol eventually pulled the plug on promotion of the album. Despite this, it gained a cult following in the years after its release and became known as their artistic breakthrough.

Highly varied lyrically and sonically, the album secured the Beastie Boys' place as critical favorites in the nascent field of popular hip hop.

Looking Down The Barrel of A Gun:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how will you ever make it through "Sabotage?"

Unknown said...

The Chemical Brothers had nothing to do with this album, which was released long before they formed.

The producers were the Dust Brothers.

The Chemical Brothers originally called themselves the Dust Brothers, thinking they would never make it big, until they did and the real Dust Brothers slapped a lawsuit on their asses and they changed their name to the Chemicals

Francisco Silva said...

Thanks for that jp, I am astonished no one else caught that one. I know it's the Dust Brothers, but sometimes I have brain farts. I've fixed it.