Friday, July 18, 2008

633. Dwight Yoakam - Buenas Noches From A Lonely Room (1988)

















Track Listing


1. I Got You
2. One More Name
3. What I Don't Know
4. Home Of The Blues
5. Buenos Noches From A Lonely Room (She Wore Red Dresses)
6. I Hear You Knocking
7. I Sang Dixie
8. Streets Of Bakersfield
9. Floyd County
10. Send Me The Pillow That You Dream On
11. Hold Onto God

Review


There is a fundamental problem in the laudable attempt to be quite retro and modern at the same time, that problem is that sometimes your albums will sound like something quite good with novelty touches which ruin it. This is what happens in this album.

Yoakam can write a country song, he can sing a country song, but he is not making music at the same time as Buck Owens, who he covers and collaborates with in Streets of Bakersfield. This makes him feel at the same time dated for the late 80's and using guitars and drums the way he does completely of his time.

In the end you get the album that Buck Owens would have made if he lived in the 80s. Well unfortunately I am not a big Buck Owens fan, more of a Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson man myself, I like Bluegrass a lot as well... Bakersfield Honky Tonk just doesn't seem to do it for me. Oh well, I just find it a bit tacky.

Track Highlights

1. Buenas Noches From A Lonely Room (She Wore Red Dresses)
2. I Sang Dixie
3. Home Of The blues
4. Streets Of Bakersfield


Final Grade

7/10

Trivia


From Wikipedia:

Buenas Noches from a Lonely Room is the third consecutive #1 Billboard Country Album by Dwight Yoakam. It features Yoakam's first two #1 Hot Country Singles hits. The first was "Streets of Bakersfield," a duet with country music veteran Buck Owens, and the second was Yoakam's own composition, "I Sang Dixie." The album's third big hit was the #5 "I Got You," also composed by Yoakam. A lesser hit was the title song, "Buenas Noches from a Lonely Room (She Wore Red Dresses)," which only rose to the #46 position.

I Sang Dixie:

No comments: