Monday, May 19, 2008

573. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying (1986)













Track Listing

1. Wake Up Dead
2. The Conjuring
3. Peace Sells
4. Devil's Island
5. Good Mourning / Black Friday
6. Bad Omen
7. I Ain't Superstitious
8. My Last Words

Review

Before anyone else starts commenting on how prejudiced I am against metal, I will admit that it is not my favourite musical genre, but I will also say that I like Black Sabbath, Motorhead and even Iron Maiden, but it is the thrash metal of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax that I have the most difficulty swallowing. Together with them we have the New Wave of British Metal bands like Def Leppard and Judas Priest that belong to the same circle of Hell.

That being said I much prefer Megadeth to Metallica, firstly the songs are shorter, being therefore less predisposed to wankery of the solo kind, secondly it has more of a political conscience that is a good thing, even if most of the lyrics are simplistic and puerile, but so was War Pigs.

And surprisingly I prefer Mustaine's voice, he can put more emotion and emphasis in one line than Metallica could in one 10 minute track. Nonetheless, most of the bad things about Metallica apply equally here and this is not an album that I would like to listen to again.

Track Highlights

1. Peace Sells
2. Devil's Island
3. Wake Up Dead
4. I Ain't Superstitious

Final Grade


6/10

Trivia


From Wikipedia:

The song "Peace Sells" ranked #11 on VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs and the bassline at its beginning was used for years as the theme for MTV News and also appeared in the 2002 videogame Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, playing on Rock station V-Rock.

Seizure inducing video for Peace Sells:

No comments: