Friday, October 12, 2007

395. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance (1978)
















Track Listing


1. Non-Alignment Pact
2. Modern Dance
3. Laughing
4. Street Waves
5. Chinese Radiation
6. Life Stinks
7. Real World
8. Over My Head
9. Sentimental Journey
10. Humor Me

Review

Sorry this review is a couple of hours late but this is all because I have been out all night listening to James Chance and Les Contortions at Cafe Saki in Rusholme and am also slightly drunk. So!

Pere Ubu, mondo excellente. Actually when I grow up I want to have a band just like this, the more I listen to it the more I like it. And frankly it shouldn't be anything easy to like in any way. It is distorted, weird, and challenging, but also, somehow, supremely catchy and interesting. Shit I can't get Nonalignment Pact out of my head for the last couple of days.

So even if you start by finding this hard to deal with please stick with it, it will definitely reward you with a lot more than you might expect. So now I need to go to bed, as my head is pounding hard. See you my lovelies.

Track Highlights

1. Nonalignment Pact
2. Chinese Radiation
3. The Modern Dance
4. Humor Me

Final Grade


10/10


Trivia

Quotes from Wikipedia:

* "Pere Ubu is not now nor has it ever been a viable commercial venture. We won't sleep on floors, we won't tour endlessly and we're embarrassed by self-promotion. Add to that a laissez-faire attitude to the mechanics of career advancement and a demanding artistic agenda and you've got a recipe for real failure. That has been our one significant success to this date: we are the longest-lasting, most disastrous commercial outfit to ever appear in rock 'n' roll. No one can come close to matching our loss to longevity ratio." – David Thomas

* "Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

* "The Sex Pistols sang "No Future", but there is a future and we're trying to build one." - Allen Ravenstine

* "We, as a musical collective are a shower of tossers, when i look back on our career there are times that would have been better spent if i had kept my fat mouth shut" - David Thomas

The best I could get you, Laughing:

No comments: