Monday, June 26, 2006

47. Buck Owens and his Buckaroos - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail (1965)

















Track Listing

1. I've Got a Tiger by the Tail
2. Trouble and Me
3. Let the Sad Times Roll On
4. Wham Bam
5. If You Fall Out of Love With Me
6. Fallin' for You
7. We're Gonna Let the Good Times Roll
8. Band Keeps Playin' On
9. Streets of Laredo
10. Cryin' Time
11. Maiden's Prayer
12. Memphis

Review

This is not my kind of music. I like some country and such, but this suffers the same faults as Ray Price's Nightlife. But it is a better affair, at least this one grows on you like a bad fungus. First time I heard it, I hated it, second I could see something there and third I started to actually be quite fond of it. So, a bit like Bjork albums. But also very much unlike Bjork.

It has got some funny songs like Wham Bam, some quite nice ones like Memphis and Streets of Laredo, but it is still not my thing. It is very hillbilly but there are some elements of something else here, which is probably rock. The guitars take more of a center stage there is a faster speed to some of the songs and it feels like it is integrating some rock elements in what is traditionally redneck music. Still, in no way could this be called rock or even country-rock or anything of the kind. It is fully hick, which can sometimes be quite fun.

I really don't feel like the most qualified person to make a review of this album, seeing as I don't care for this type of music on most days (except thursday nights when I go line dancing with the girls). Still, if your life depended on listening to Buck Owens or Ray Price I'd go for Buck Owens (and let's not forget his Buckaroos) anytime.

You can buy it at Amazon UK or US

Track Highlights

1. Wham Bam
2. We're Gonna Let the Good Times Roll
3. Memphis
4. Streets of Laredo

Final Grade


5/10

Trivia

Wiki:

Alvis Edgar "Buck" Owens, Jr., (August 12, 1929 – March 25, 2006) was an American singer and guitarist, with twenty number-one hits on the Billboard magazine country music charts. Both as a solo artist and with his band, the Buckaroos (so named by Merle Haggard, a former bandmate), Buck Owens pioneered what has come to be called the Bakersfield sound—a reference to Bakersfield, California, the city Owens called home and from which he drew inspiration for what he preferred to call "American Music

OH, WHO THE FUCK CARES!

Snails are hermaphrodites.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need a guest reviewer for country music records when they come up. So far, you've bagged on 2 country records that are considered classics by anyone who knows and loves honky tonk music.
I get that the genre's not your thing, but that kind of kills any objectivity - like if I had to review Miles Davis and John Coltrane records - I'm sure they're great, but I don't wanna hear 'em.

Francisco Silva said...

Yes, but the whole point of this blog is the fact that it's my own subjective opinion.

I'm sure I could find guest reviewers who would give 10 out of 10 for each and every album, but is not the point really.

Hey, I gave high grades to the Louvin' Brothers and Marty Robbins and I will give high grades to Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, I just didn't like Buck Owens or Ray Price.

But again this Blog states my personal opinion on each album. That is quite clearly stated on my opening post way back in May. And I quote:

"So, daily, excluding any days I don't feel like it, for reasons of being high, drunk, on vacation or respecting the Sabbath, I'll post here a completely subjective review of one album."

Anonymous said...

Gosh! Buck Owens look a lot like Johnny Crawford when younger and he look a lot like Harpo Marx when older!